ASIA MEDIA ACADEMY (AMA) DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT POLICY
Please note that the User must be 18 years of age or older to subscribe to the AMA’ Services. In certain jurisdictions, the age of majority may be older than 18, in which case, User must satisfy that age to become a user. While individuals under the age of 18 may utilize the AMA’ Services, they may do so only with the involvement, supervision, and approval of a parent or legal guardian.
“Personal Data” is defined under the PDPA to mean personal information, whether true or not and whether in electronic or other form, about an individual who can be identified:
- From that data; or
- From that data and other information to which AMA has access to or are likely to have access to
Examples of personal data includes name, address, NRIC/FIN/Passport number, photograph or video image, telephone numbers and email addresses.
AMA is committed to protecting the rights and privacy of individuals in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (the “PDPA”).
To properly perform the functions of the academy and to comply with its legal obligations, we will need to process and keep certain personal data about all individuals with whom it has dealings, including its employees, associates, and learners.
To find out more about PDPA, the potential learner may visit the Singapore Personal Data Protection Commission’s website.
- PURPOSES FOR COLLECTION, USE & DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA
AMA will collect personal data only if the information is necessary for one or more of its functions or activities. It will do so only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. We will not collect excessive or irrelevant information. Dependent on your relationship with AMA (i.e. whether you are an applicant, learners, alumnus, staff, donor, vendor, service provider or other person dealing with AMA). Your personal data may also be used and/or disclosed for any other legitimate purpose of AMA arising in respect of the environment within which AMA operates as an institution of higher learning and which is reasonable given your relationship with AMA. The personal data, photographic images, videos, etc., which is provided by the individual may be collected, used and/or disclosed for the following purposes:
- Administration for admission or employment, enrolling or employing, applications for programmes/courses/training, providing programmes/courses/training, including sending materials on course / study / assignment / course materials, information on timetables and examination details via postal mail, electronic mail, SMS or MMS, fax and/or voice calls;
- Administering and/or managing relationships with AMA (including responding to enquiries, the mailing of correspondence, statements or notices which could involve the disclosure of certain personal data to bring about delivery of the same);
- Assessing, monitoring and reporting on individual learner performance, attendance and disciplinary records;
- Application of learner passes where appropriate;
- Application for Ministry of Education approval for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents;
- Facilitating payment for goods and/or services provided by AMA and/or a third party on AMA’s behalf including verification of bank and credit card details with third parties and using the Personal Data provided to conduct matching procedures against databases of known fraudulent transactions (maintained by us or third parties);
- process application(s) for scholarships and/or financial aid and research support; administering and managing scholarship/financial aid/grant and other support programmes which may include use of personal data for development and fund-raising activities and disclosure of personal data to donors, grantors, external evaluators and/or external organisations for purposes of assessment, periodic reports, event invitations, surveys and/or publicity of AMA-related programmes;
- Responding to any complaints, feedback, requests and enquiries by learner / parents / guardians and disciplinary actions;
- Disclosing learner records to parent(s) or guardian(s) at their request.
- Informing learner / parents / guardians/ related parties of events, talks, seminars and updates;
- Maintaining and updating learner, alumni, and academic staff records;
- Generating financial, regulatory, management or survey reports and statistics for AMA’s business and administrative purposes;
- promotion of AMA outreach and engagement activities to garner support and resources for AMA, its community and affiliated institutions; (e.g. providing information about programmes that may be of interest to you, events hosted, co-hosted or supported by AMA on and off-campus) and supporting AMA functions including, but not restricted to the teaching and personal and professional development of students, research and administration of AMA including but not limited to the institute’s prospectus, magazine and website;
- Sending promotional and marketing information by post, email and SMS about the institute, activities and events as well as carefully selected third parties;
- Taking of photographs and/or videos (whether by AMA staff or third party photographers and/or videographers) during events or seminars organised by AMA or its affiliates for publicity purposes;
- Engaging alumni including but not limited to notification on AMA and alumni- related initiatives and activities, invitation to AMA and alumni-related events, updating of alumni information, invitation to participate in alumni surveys and sending of communication collaterals;
- Processing applications for and administering local and overseas career related activities, events, programmes, internships, employment opportunities, and career coaching, and sharing information with companies (whether local or overseas) for purposes of recruitment, internship, industrial attachment, job placement and research support;
- Meeting or complying with AMA’s internal policies and processes / procedures and any applicable laws, rules, regulations, codes of practice or guidelines, orders or requests issued by any court, legal or regulatory bodies (including but not limited to disclosures to regulatory bodies, conducting audit checks, surveillance and investigation);
- Carrying out due diligence or other screening activities (including background checks) in accordance with legal or regulatory obligations or risk management procedures that may be required by law or put in place by AMA, including the obtaining of references and/or other information from prior educational institutions and employers;
- Preventing, detecting and investigating crime, offences or breaches including that related to the security of AMA’s premises (including but not limited to the use of security cameras);
- Conducting checks with the DO NOT CALL Registry;
- Purposes, which are reasonably related to the above.
By providing the Personal Data, including those related to a third party (e.g.:- information of the learner’s parents) through the various channels (e.g.:- written form, webpage, email, etc.), he/ she represent and warrant that consent, including that of the third party, has been obtained for collection, use and disclosure of the Personal Data for the respective purposes. In the event the personal data is to be used for a new purpose, AMA will notify and seek their consent.
AMA ensures that Personal Data held by the organisation shall be kept confidential. When transferring personal data to third party service providers, agents and/or affiliates or related corporations whether in Singapore or elsewhere in order to carry out one or more of the purposes listed above, AMA requires them to ensure that the Personal Data disclosed is kept confidential and secure.
SPECIFIC ISSUES FOR THE DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA TO THIRD PARTIES
AMA respects the confidentiality of the personal data provided.
In that regard, AMA will not disclose any of the learner’s personal data to any third party (unless otherwise for the purposes stated above) without first obtaining expressed consent. However, AMA may disclose personal data to third parties without first obtaining the learner’s consent in certain situations, including, without limitation, the following:
- The disclosure is required based on the applicable laws and/or regulations;
- The purpose of such disclosure is clearly in the learner’s interests and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way;
- The disclosure is necessary to respond to an emergency that threatens the life, health or safety of the learner or another individual;
- There are reasonable grounds to believe that the health or safety of the learner or another individual will be seriously affected and consent for the disclosure of the data cannot be obtained in a timely way, provided that AMA shall, as soon as may be practicable, notify the learner of the disclosure and the purposes of the disclosure;
- The disclosure is necessary for any investigation or proceedings;
- The personal data is disclosed to any officer of a prescribed law enforcement agency, upon production of written authorisation signed by the head or director of that law enforcement agency or a person of a similar rank, certifying that the personal data is necessary for the purposes of the functions or duties of the officer; and/or
- The disclosure is to a public agency and such disclosure is necessary in the public interest.
The instances listed above are not intended to be exhaustive. For an exhaustive list of exceptions, learners are encouraged to peruse the PDPA, which is publicly available at http://statutes.agc.gov.sg.
In the event that you wish for us to discontinue the collection, use, disclosure and/or processing of your personal data for any of the above purposes, you may also write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us of the same.
Whenever we send you any marketing information, we will include instructions on how to unsubscribe. For example, our e-newsletters will have unsubscribe links.
Administration & Management of Personal Data :
As AMA relies on the Personal Data to provide services, learners should ensure that the information provided are correct, accurate and complete. Learners will update AMA in a timely manner of all changes through the relevant form from the Staff Office. Alumni and Stakeholders shall update their Personal Data to relevant departments as and when necessary or through the annual update. You may update your personal information at any time by accessing your account(s) with us or by writing in to us at email@example.com to inform us of the same.
AMA will not sell or rent your personal information to anyone. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal data are protected from unauthorized access and other similar risks. Access to your account(s) is password protected. Thus, no other party, including Asia Media Academy employees, can change the information. However, you must remember to log off from your account and close the browser window after use so that no unauthorized party can have access. You are responsible for the safe keeping of your password. You must not, at any time, disclose your password to any third party. We will not be responsible, and you agree that you will not hold us responsible for any losses or damage incurred by you whatsoever caused by your non-compliance to any of the foregoing. All information gathered by Asia Media Academy is stored in systems that may only be accessed by authorised Asia Media Academy staff using assigned user ids and passwords. In certain areas, Asia Media Academy uses industry-standard SSL-encryption to protect data transmissions.
For the avoidance of doubt, you consent to:
(a) Asia Media Academy and/or Asia Media Academy’s group companies collecting, using, disclosing and/or processing your personal data for the purposes and situations as described above;
(b) Asia Media Academy and/or Asia Media Academy’s group companies transferring your personal data out of Singapore to Asia Media Academy’s and/or Asia Media Academy’s group companies’ third party service providers or agents for the purposes and situations as described above.
Learners can view their personal data, which AMA has collected and stored at any time. In order to do so, they will need to submit in writing to the DPO’s email or Staff Office (for learner) for access. The right to view personal data is limited to the individual’s personal data only. AMA is not permitted to reveal any personal data about any other individual. AMA reserves the right to refuse access to the individual’s personal data if it will reveal or lead to the revelation of another individual’s personal data, cause harm to you or another individual or is contrary to the national interest.
This policy is subject to any existing laws of the Republic of Singapore in relation to the protection of information and if required by any lawful authority for any legal purposes such as the enforcement of any laws or to prevent the breaching of any laws, we shall release all such information as is legally required by the requisite and lawful authority in accordance with the directions of the lawful court of the competent jurisdiction.